Sunday, January 22, 2006

OSAMA'S BOOK CLUB

Bill Blum doesn't mind that Osama bin Laden plugged his book.

Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower warns of America's worsening image around the world and declares the need for a new foreign policy in the Middle East.

Osama bin Laden mentioned Rogue State in this fashion:
If you (Americans) are sincere in your desire for peace and security, we have answered you. And if Bush decides to carry on with his lies and oppression, then it would be useful for you to read the book "Rogue State," which states in its introduction: "If I were president, I would stop the attacks on the United States: First I would give an apology to all the widows and orphans and those who were tortured. Then I would announce that American interference in the nations of the world has ended once and for all."
We wrote Blum and asked his thoughts about bin Laden's plug. His reply:
I'm not bothered by bin Laden's mention of my book. I have nothing in common with the man otherwise -- I'm repulsed by religious fundamentalism, for one thing -- but if he shares my strong dislike of certain aspects of US foreign policy, that doesn't bother me. I want to see the US stop its interventions as much as he does.
We wondered if that's even possible; politicians from both major parties routinely kowtow to Israel. Sez Blum:
I agree that it doesn't look good, but history can take unexpected turns arising from mass movements. My writing, and many other activities by other Americans, are aimed at raising people's consciousness; and it's working, person by person; hopefully we'll reach a critical mass.
You can find Blum's book at Amazon by clicking here. And of course we asked him whether it was freaky when bin Laden mentioned Rogue State. Replied Blum: "Yes, freaky and funny."

No comments: