Tuesday, April 25, 2006

BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS

Larry Litle @ Simple Thoughts of a Complex Mind posted something Monday about extremism -- basically, about how extremists on both ends of the political spectrum usually screw up everything for everyone else.

Agreed on that point; nothing grinds us more than ultra-libs pushing political correctness, or ultra-conservatives talking about the need for Jesus in politics.

Larry, who considers himself a conservative, writes:
I consider myself pro-life but I don't want to send woman back to the dark ages, I don't want to ban all abortions, I don't want to blow up abortion clinics, and I don't even want to picket along the highway. I consider myself a conservative but I do not want to remove everyone off of Medicaid rolls, I don't want to take money from education, and I don't want to cram my values down your throat. I consider myself a supporter of Intelligent Design but I am not "anti-science", I don't want the teaching of evolution removed from schools, and I don't want my faith taught in schools for science. I do not support "gay rights" but I am not afraid of homosexuals or lesbians, I don't want anyone to attack them, I don't want them to loose their job or homes, or anything because they are gay. If I fit the mold the extreme teaches, I would be all of those things that I am not and those things that I hate.
We're enjoying the back-and-forth with Larry on this one, especially given his insistence that he's in favor of "basic human rights for everyone." It's a provocative piece and worth your time. Read it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be better if we had a United States that didn't NEED a "Medicare" system at all?

IMO, if the New Deal had been a temporary fix, we wouldn't have a welfare mentality today.

Anonymous said...

Ron,
Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate it. It was a very interesting and thought provoking discussion.