Saturday, April 14, 2007

DON HO, 76

Entertainer known as "King of Waikiki." Sang "Tiny Bubbles." Died Saturday. The Honolulu Advertiser reports:
He gained prominence while singing at the now-defunct Duke Kahanamoku's in Waikiki from 1964 to 1970. The lounge was a hot spot for local and visiting entertainers, who would stop in to watch Ho perform or join him on stage.

His fame spread to the Mainland after he appeared at the Coconut Grove in Los Angeles in 1966.

His sold-out shows led to appearances at the Sands in Las Vegas, Harrah's at Lake Tahoe and at hot spots in New York and Chicago. He also made guest appearances with Johnny Carson, Joey Bishop and Art Linkletter.
According to The Associated Press, he was born Donald Tai Loy Ho.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm dating myself terribly, but does anyone else remember when his "The Don Ho Show" was syndicated locally? It was circa 1976. Yeah, I'm old...and a geek.

Busplunge said...

Yeah, and remember National Lampoon, telling your favorite uncle Moe who is the bestest singer in Hawaii....Don Ho, Moe.

Anonymous said...

Quite a tough week for ho's, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

9:30...That was pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Man, anon @ 9:30, you're brave. I thought about making a snarky comment about Don being the biggest ho' in Hawaii, but in light of the Imus controversy I thought maybe I would just keep that one to myself.

Anonymous said...

Headline we'd like to see:

HO TAKES DIRT NAP

Anonymous said...

Or better yet:

HO HEADED FOR LONG DIRT NAP

Anonymous said...

If you're dating yourself terribly, Strannix, perhaps you should consider throwing in the towel on that relationship.

Desdinova said...

I remember a morning show on ABC in the 70's. I also remember people who saw his show live saying he would change the words to "Tiny Bubbles" to "Tiny Boobies."