Sunday, March 30, 2008

DITH PRAN, 65

Coined the memorable phrase "killing fields" to describe the horrors he saw in Cambodia. Three months ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Sunday, he died.

From The Associated Press:
Dith spoke of his illness in a March interview with The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J., saying he was determined to fight against the odds and urging others to get tested for cancer.

"I want to save lives, including my own, but Cambodians believe we just rent this body," he said. "It is just a house for the spirit, and if the house is full of termites, it is time to leave."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that philosophy.

And needed to hear it.

Thanks, Red

Anonymous said...

As a nine year non-hodgkins lymphoma survivor, my house was also "full of termites", but I decided to fumigate. ;o)

R.I.P. Dith Pran...He was a courageous man and he will be missed.