Sunday, December 18, 2005

SUNDAY'S BUSH SPEECH

President Bush's Oval Office speech was odd in some respects -- the 'prompter placement made Bush look slightly to the camera's side -- and decidedly presidential in others. The power of the presidency can do that to a fella.

Best graf was aimed at detractors:
I also want to speak to those of you who did not support my decision to send troops to Iraq: I have heard your disagreement, and I know how deeply it is felt. Yet now there are only two options before our country - victory or defeat. And the need for victory is larger than any president or political party, because the security of our people is in the balance. I do not expect you to support everything I do, but tonight I have a request: Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom.
We have our own request of the president: Do not claim that your detractors are against a "fight for freedom." We simply seek freedom for a different tyranny -- yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Yet now there are only two options before our country - victory or defeat."

An example of the logical fallacy of "undistributed middle" or "false dilemma". See: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Actually, there are a wide range of options, and is pulling out tomorrow to really be considered "defeat"? After all, we accomplished the mission of getting rid of Saddam. Bush is still muddled. I have been asking publically what they mean by "victory" I have not recieved one answer yet.

One thing is certain, waving a purple finger in the air only means that Bush has been sitting in the Oval Office inkwell again.